Monroe County Successfully Migrated to S/4HANA
Another Milestone that Sets-up Modernization Initiatives of the County
By: Phoenix Team
Phoenix’s Work at the County:
Phoenix has been supporting the County’s SAP system since 2011 and has performed numerous small and large projects for the County. From 2013 to 2015, the County implemented EAM with another firm which also provided production support until 2015. Dissatisfied with the services provided by the new firm, the County issued an RFP for production support services, which Phoenix subsequently won in a competitive bid. The following describes some of the projects we have performed there.
The first priority focused on resolving significant issues related to the Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) component implemented by the County’s previous support partner – a low-cost SAP Public Sector service provider that to the County’s detriment, had a history of underbidding engagements, providing inadequate services levels, and delivering incomplete solutions.
The EAM component had more than 60 open tickets when Phoenix took over support to migrate to S/4HANA, with issues ranging from incomplete configuration to unfinished security roles and authorizations. Phoenix acted quickly to stabilize the County’s production system by performing the following activities:
- Identified related system defects and impacts.
- Developed an approach and plan to address relevant issues.
- Prioritized issues based on criticality.
- Deployed our best consultants to resolve issues based on priority including on-site activities for the first two weeks and remote support for the following six weeks.
Some of the complex issues we have addressed in EAM were:
- Delivered a process to handle the work orders that are completed and components with open Purchase requisitions or Purchase orders.
- Proposed/Implemented a solution to send notification to maintenance supervisors when the work orders are technically completed but have components in a partial filled status (Open Requisitions or Open PO). This allowed supervisors to make a decision whether to close out the Requisitions or send communications to the purchasing department to close out purchase orders.
- Resolved security issues related to assignment of people to work centers.
- Phoenix evaluated the HR authorizations & authorizations for the maintenance supervisor and identified the impact of structural authorizations. As a result, we designed a solution that allowed maintenance supervisors to maintain the position assignment of work centers.
- This fix reduced a great volume of tickets between maintenance departments at various divisions and HR/ Security teams.
- Provided the ability to do time confirmations and technically complete the order on the EAM portal after last confirmation.
- The standard EAM application did not have a clean process to do confirmations from the same screen that allowed a crew to update order information and record time confirmation together. Also, when last confirmation was entered, provide the ability to technically complete the order. Phoenix designed an enhancement to the application following SAP standards that has resulted in simplified a crew worker process.
S/4HANA Migration Project
In January 2018, Phoenix started a project updating the County’s current ECC system to migrate to S/4 HANA. This upgrade is a functional and technical upgrade to take advantage of the new functionality brought about by the HANA in-memory database and new ledgers offered by S/4 HANA. Scope includes Finance, HCM, Procurement, EAM, IS- Public Sector modules, Funds Management and Grants Management.
During the project, Phoenix developed a number of custom enhancements. As part of the actual cost allocation to work order new scheme of activity types was created to allow actual and proper cost to be allocated to work orders & capital projects. Monroe Department of Transportation used activity types on the employee master and they stored them on infotype 0315 (Field Sender Activity Type). The DOT had to request and the finance team had to create new activity type to match the employee salary rate which further updated by HR team on employee master.
The old design meant that for every employee a new activity type was created and updated on employee master manually. The old design did not take into consideration employee’s salary changes or employee movement to other positions which further changed the salary rate of the employee.
The enhancement created by Phoenix setup activity types matching the salary schedule for the regular rate and whenever the employee salary infotype is changed the appropriate activity type is selected and updated on the employee master.
Since employee salary schedules are bargained at certain time interval (max 2 times per year) where in the salary rates can be revised or new schedules are added, the enhancement automated and synchronized the activity types and their rates to match against salary schedules.
The actual postings were incorrect and were based on incorrect standard costs rather than actual costs. Phoenix changed the salary structures, created unique activity types and matched salary schedules to update the activity type and default the activity type to the employee master. This complex enhancement allowed the activity type to match the actual rate to make costing accurate.
Phoenix continues to demonstrate the knowledge of how to properly support and build SAP systems, specifically migrating to S/4HANA. Monroe County is pleased with our services and appreciates our dedication to helping them with Best Practices-based guidance.
About Phoenix Business Consulting:
Phoenix Business Inc. (DBA Phoenix Business Consulting) is an SAP Gold Partner working with various Public Sector and Commercial clients since 1988. Headquartered in Sarasota, Florida with support offices in India, California, and Canada, Phoenix Business Consulting has built a global SAP ERP presence through a focused approach of helping clients transform their business processes and legacy infrastructure into modern, fully integrated solutions. As an SAP Partner, Phoenix demonstrates a true passion for using Leading Business Practices and SAP Best Practices in implementing ERPs. The methodology used by Phoenix reduces risk, providing a safe choice when choosing an ERP systems integrator. The employees and consultants of Phoenix Business Consulting are skilled and experienced in implementing and supporting the latest SAP solutions, which include: SAP S/4HANA, SAP Business ByDesign, SAP Cloud Analytics, SAP Ariba, and SAP SuccessFactors. Phoenix also provides Application Management Services (AMS) to existing SAP ECC customers. In its work with clients, Phoenix demonstrates the truth behind its motto, “Driven by Excellence; Powered by Trust.” To learn more about Phoenix Business Consulting visit www.phoenixteam.com
SAP is the market leader in enterprise application software, helping companies of all sizes and in all industries run at their best: 77% of the world’s transaction revenue touches an SAP system. Our machine learning, Internet of Things (IoT), and advanced analytics technologies help turn customers’ businesses into intelligent enterprises. Our end-to-end suite of applications and services enables our customers to operate profitably, adapt continuously, and make a difference. With a global network of customers, partners, employees, and thought leaders, SAP helps the world run better and improves people’s lives. To learn more about SAP visit www.sap.com
SAP, SAP HANA, BusinessObjects, SAP S/4HANA, SuccessFactors and other SAP products and services mentioned herein as well as their respective logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SAP SE (or an SAP affiliate company) in Germany and other countries. See http://www.sap.com/corporate-en/legal/copyright/index.epx for additional trademark information and notices.